Counselling is a safe and confidential process that offers support, encouragement and challenge. Individual counselling as group counselling were provided for the children in a need basis. For children, who were abused, who had traumatic history, individual counselling were very fruitful. They feel very relieved, became more confident after one to one counselling. In most cases, group counselling was done for behaviour issues, rule and regulation of an organisation, family values etc.
Benefits of counseling:
- Became Assertiveness
- Became more aware about the family values
- resolving conflicts in a better way,
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Increased motivation
- Ability to cope better in difficult circumstances
- Clarification of confused thoughts and feelings
- Increased emotional awareness of self and others
Dance therapy is the psychotherapeutic use of movement and dance for emotional, cognitive, social, behavioural and physical conditions. It is based on the premise that body and mind are interrelated. It strengthens the body/mind connection through body movements to improve both the mental and physical well-being of children. DMT is a good method to express their problems through movement. We could not even say only problem, happiness or sorrow; it’s a very safe and good medium to express whatever the resources the children have within themselves. Benefits:
- Reduces anger, stress, fears and anxieties.
- Enhances cognitive skills, motivation and memory.
- Lessens feelings of isolation, body tension, chronic pain, and depression.
- Enhances the functioning of the body’s circulatory and respiratory systems.
- Improves body image, self-esteem, attentiveness, and communication skills.
- Benefits adolescent and psychiatric patients, the learning disabled, the visually and hearing impaired and the mentally handicapped.
Neuro Linguistic Programming
NLP is also found to be very effective method for problem solving for people as it directly works with a subconscious mind. It helps children to accept and heal past trauma, problem very fast and found to be very effective.
In Relaxation Therapy, progressive muscular relaxation was used in which lots of positive suggestions were given. It helped children to relax physically and mentally and also have found a good behavioural change within them.
Behaviour Therapy was used to reduce negative behaviours of the children. Lots of behavioural problems like lying, dendrite sniffing, stealing, beating etc were common behavioural problems found with them. Hypnotherapy helped specially for dendrite sniffing and had two success records. Hypnotherapy could be very successful for managing behavioural problem but street kids are not regular in drop-in centre.
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is used to correct the irrational thinking of the children. Lots of negative thinking was found with them which are as follows:
- Children may think that APC has huge amount of dollar and is not using it for them (teenager).
- Some kids think that they will not have good future.
- Kids think they could not get good environment to study after integration with their families though they have very good environment in their families.
- Thinking that all step parents are bad.
Emotional Detoxification Therapy
EDT helps children to detoxify negative emotion and trauma which had been stored in the cells and tissues of their body. Certain kind of breathing techniques were used to release the negative emotions and help them to amplify positive emotions and motivations.
Mediation is being in use for the kids. In the beginning, some kids have problem in doing it but later on they have formed a habit of doing it and they love doing too. It helps children to relax their mind and body as help them to think in a very positive way. It helps kids in concentration and for memory too. It also helped for hyperactive kids to manage their psychomotor activities.
Play therapy is used to find out the problems of kids as it helps to manage their problems by play therapy. Play therapy was also used to conduct NFE and was fruitful too.
EFT is a very good method of releasing negative emotions and helps to empower positive emotions. Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) is a psychotherapeutic alternative medicine tool based on a theory that negative emotions are caused by disturbances in the body’s energy field and that tapping on the meridians while thinking of a negative emotion alters the body’s energy field, restoring it to “balance.” EFT is a safe and non-invasive “energy therapy.” It involves tapping strategic points in the body in order to relieve the body’s negative energies and bring harmony. It is easy for people to use in and outside the office and can be used in conjunction with medical treatments. . It helps to enhance the energy of the body which automatically leads to have positive thinking and feelings. By tapping in certain meridian in of our body, it helps to release not only negative emotions, but also helps to manage for negative thinking, concentration problem, pain, any psychical problem, addictions. Benefits: